- Statistics resources at the University of Zurich
- Scripts for my part of a seminar on experimental design and
data analysis at the University of Zurich.
- A compact introduction
to statistics and non-parametric testing as well as notes on
robust regression, non-parametric regression, logistic regression,
nonlinear regression, some exercises and a list of references
(ready for double sided printing).
- A more detailed version of
the introduction with examples from applied ethology.
- a more detailed version of the logistic regression with
examples from pharmacology.
- some short notes on survival analysis
- Some notes and
illustrations of using linear models in (behavioural) biology.
- A note on the graphical
analysis of residuals (the check for the assumptions in linear
- Slides from a talk which gives
a broad overview on statistical methods that I gave during a course of
the Ala (Schweizerische Gesellschaft für Vogelkunde und
Graphical display of quantitative data: How to display
quantitative data in an honest and informativ way. All you basically
need to know and on which you can build your ideas you can find in:
Edward R. Tufte (1999) The
visual display of quantitative data. Graphics Press, Cheshire. 17th
printing ... and of course a flexible and fully customisable
plotting tool such as R
(see also publication list on personal page)
- Social Aspects of Sleep Cluster Formation and Sleep Behaviour
in a Mixed Group of Longtailed Macaques: sleep.pdf (ready for double
- Time and 'home-range' borders in individual-based
artificial-world modelling: tiho.pdf.
This section provides information from my PhD Group Size and
Behavioural Ecology in the Superfamily Delphinoidea (Delphinidae,
Phocoenidae, Monodontidae), 2000, University of Zurich,
complementing the following publications:
You can download the following information. There are pure ascii
(.txt) and pdf files. Some of the pdf files are ready for double sided
Information on the database
- Gygax, L. (2002) Evolution of group size in the dolphinis and
porpoises: Interspecific consistency of intraspecific
patterns. Behavioural Ecology, 13(5): 583--590.
- Gygax, L. (2002) Evolution of group size in the superfamily
Delphinoidea (Delphinidae, Phocoenidae and Monodontidae): a
quantitative comparative analysis. Mammal Review, 32(4): 295-314.
- A detailed description of the variables in the database,
univariate summaries of the variables, a list of references sorted by
species and the full list of references: overview981113.pdf.
- A table which describes in detail what data was taken from which
reference (including the full list of references): det981113.pdf.
- The database: dat981113.txt.
- Syntax to read the database into S-plus or R and a list of the variable names
in the database and their meaning: vars981113.txt.
- Summary, general introduction and general conclusions: zsfsng.pdf from the PhD.
- Details and 'history' of the statistical evaluations stadeta.pdf.
- Manuscript based on a further chapter of the PhD: Niche
separation and niche overlap in the Delphinoidea (Delphinidae,
Phocoenidae and Monodontidae): niche.pdf.
- Two short manuscripts on:
- Correlation of Surface Behaviour in Norwegian Killer Whales
(Orcinus orca): surbeh.pdf.
- Using Group Composition as a Predictor of Feeding and Travelling
Bout Lengths in Norwegian Killer Whales (Orcinus orca): behpre.pdf.